A social media revolution seems to be happening all around us. But as companies are rushing to embrace social media, they frequently lose focus. Everyone says that your business needs to utilize social media more, but how many people tell you how? This post is part of a series on different ways you can use social media to interact with your customers.
Pinterest is a social network of virtual bulletin boards where users can organize images and videos from across the web into collections, called pin boards. While some still believe it to be a place for DIY-ers and brides-to-be, brands are finally showing up and doing a lot with it.
1. Show who you are. – Show your followers who they are following and could possibly do business with sometime. There are endless ways to do this. One idea is to pin pictures of your team, as we have done. This is a great idea for businesses that may not always interact with their customers face-to-face, as it matches a face to a name and/or voice.
You can also pin pictures of your work environment, especially if it’s unique! Lastly, pin pictures and videos that convey the mood or atmosphere of your company. For example, pranks are a big part of the eZanga culture. We have created a board to pin pictures and videos of pranks we have played in the office as well as “prankspiration” for the future.
2. Pin what you do. – While obviously you should be pinning focused content related to your niche, don’t stop there. You are a part of an entire industry, and both you and your followers need to be informed about it. Pinterest is great for learning since so many of us are visual learners. You’ll be surprised at how much information you can learn from the infographicsthat are pinned.
You can also post pictures and videos of your own products as long as you balance out the self-promotion with other content. Pinterest even has a price feature, where if you type a currency symbol with an amount into the pin’s description, and it will add a price “flag” to the image (click for example) as well as list it in the “Gifts” section of the site. Supplement promotional pins with pins of related products, useful tips for your product, etc.
3. Involve your followers. – As always, people need a reason to follow you, so give them one. The reason can be anything from exclusive discounts and coupons to witty comments. Different ways to involve your followers include offering discounts and holding contests, crowdsourcing boards to allow followers to contribute pins, and offering commentary on what your followers pin, either through repinning or commenting.
For more ideas and inspiration, follow eZanga on Pinterest!
Other posts in this series:
- 3 Ways to Interact on Facebook
- 3 Ways to Interact on Twitter
- 3 Ways to Interact on YouTube
- 3 Ways to Interact on LinkedIn
- 3 Ways to Interact on Tumblr
- 3 Ways to Interact on Google+
By Brittany Berger